Friday, July 23, 2010

Persistence--Hautacam


I grew up with a quote stuck to our refrigerator which read, “That which ye persist in doing becomes easier. Not that the nature of the task has changed. But your ability to do so has been increased.” That about sums up the last ride of the trip. Instead of following the flat route of the Tour today, we “spun” our legs out on a 54km ride with an hors categorie climb--the threatening Hautacam.


Hautacam is 13km, almost 4,000 feet, avg. grade 8%, with a max of 15%. I actually felt stronger on this ride than any other, even though it was at the end of the week--probably because the last two days were so miserable, riding in decent conditions felt easy. We climbed from the valley floor near Argeles Gazost, to the top of the Col in a little under an hour and a half. One of the memorable points today on the ride up was I noticed a small rock, probably 1/4” round on the left lane near the exit of a turn. I remember thinking that you probably wouldn’t want to run over it on the way down. Sure enough, I hit that exact rock and heard it ping off my tire. No flat, and I laughed at the coincidence of it all. I guess when my life is reduced to thinking of pebbles, it is time to go home.


What to think of the week? Sublime. It was an amazing experience, full of incredible highs and real emotional and physical lows. I didn’t expect such a range of emotions from riding my bike.


Jess and Marko were great riding partners. Happy 40th Jess--thanks Mary Alice.

6 comments:

  1. Yes, Happy Birthday, Jess. And thank you, Scott, for sharing your experience. It has been an incredible "ride" for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic message Scott. My sense is you come out of this whole thing a little different, and a little better for having gone through it all. Give my best to Jess. Look forward to seeing you when you return to the motherland. - B Blair

    ReplyDelete
  4. what is so great is what an incredible writer you as well as bike rider.
    It is a good match up.

    of course now if i had been with you i would have said go back and pick up that pebble and put it in a jar on your desk for memory sake.
    maybe there might be another pebble somewhere in France to bring home.

    Congrats!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved experiencing it through you, just wish I had actually been with you!! So happy for you and your epic experience!

    ReplyDelete