Sunday, July 18, 2010

Humility in the Pyrenees


OK--so today was the first day, a 30 mile ride, with 3,300 feet of climbing--just a warm-up as we join the main route of the tour tomorrow. We are in Vielha Spain for two days and then back to Lourdes as the tour circles the mountain passes in the region--the 100th year of the Pyrenees in the Tour. Training for 6 months, and the first day seemed to smack me in the face. I guess riding around New Canaan, CT and spinning at the Wall Street Equinox doesn’t totally prepare one for some serious mountain climbing. What was I thinking? Pride is now properly checked at the door, and I settle in on the realization that just completing the week will be a huge success. Losing some precious seconds on the final climb to our 3 main wolf-pack does not build confidence! My motivation will be the support I feel from my wife and kids from the other side of the world. Sometimes in running marathons, the only thing that you think about are those that are waiting at the finish--and it gets you through to the end. Only strange highlight of the day, was a hint from our guide to take a left at the bear in Arties--and he was right, there was a literal bear in a fenced pen on the side of the road.


Stage 15 waits tomorrow, Town of Bagneres finish, and a few major climbs over Port de Bales, Col du Portillon and potentially Col de Peyresourde. We don’t ride all of the course because of road access, but will do all of the major climbs, sometimes on different days as the main field.

5 comments:

  1. You are amazing even attempting to ride up those mountains. We hope you control yourself on the downhills. The tour today was incredible. Weather was beautiful on TV. Be safe and have a great time. Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. If we could be the wind at your back to make the climb up the mountains we would, but we are sending positive thoughts your way and hope that you have a good day tomorrow. Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cervelo test team, I like it! Hang in there, love the updates! Wish I was there with you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think we saw you today on tv...oh no...that was Sastre. We're all behind you Scott. I now want to climb Montebello tomorrow morning so I can feel your pain. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Scott you are one amazing guy!
    today is my first day hopping over here to read how it is going.

    What an amazing experience.
    Oh it gives me a great escape from making Peanut Butter and Jelly for dinner!

    ReplyDelete